You can now complete a National identity card check online, and here is how:
- Visit the National Identity Management Commission [NIMC ]website. Scroll down the home page and click on ‘e-ID Card Status Portal’ to check if your card is ready and in an activation centre.
- Now, fill in your first name, last name and your NIMC check tracking ID and hit the ‘check now’ icon.
- If your card is ready, you can now head over to an activation centre to collect and activate it.
Requirements for the National e-ID Card collection and activation
- To collect and activate your e-ID card, the following requirements must be met:
- You should have received your Batch ID Number via SMS. You should have a 4 digit secret pin for the e-ID Card activation.
- Do not share this PIN with anyone else.
- Also, take note that your fingerprints will be used for activation.
Process of card activation
The card activation process is quite simple, and moreover, it is totally free of charge.
To activate your card, the following procedure is used: Visit the NIMC card collection centre and present the text message or email printouts received from NIMC with the batch ID.
The Card Operations Support Officer will then use the batch ID extracted from your SMS in order to sort out your card.
After sorting the card, the Activation Officer will give you the e-ID Card to confirm your names and address on the card envelope.
You are then advised to open the card envelope, take out the e-ID Card, and verify the names, date of birth and image on the face of the e-ID Card before activation is done.
If you are satisfied with the information on the e-ID card, the Activation Officer will collect the e-ID card from you for a Match-on-Card (MOC) verification.
After the Match-on-Card (MOC) verification, the Activation Officer will activate the Electronic Public Key Infrastructure (ePKI), Electronic ID (eID), International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) applet and Europay-MasterCard-Visa (EMV) applet using a four-digit password created by you (and only known to you).
The National e-ID card will be returned to you after the completion of activation.