Following the on-going protests against the activities of the operatives of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), the federal government has issued a strong warning to the protesters.
Daily Trust reports that the FG said it would not allow the country to be thrown into anarchy following the violence that has trailed the #EndSARS protests.
It was gathered that the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed, stated this on Saturday, October 17, when he featured on a late-night Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) news programme, “Weekend File.”
The programme entitled, “EndSARS protest: The way forward,” was monitored by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.
Mohammed said the assassination attempt on the Osun governor, Adegboyega Oyetola while addressing the protesters was a clear confirmation that the protests had been hijacked by hoodlums and people with ulterior agenda.
He noted that while the original conveners of the protests might have meant well, it was obvious that they were no longer in control of the initiative.
“Peaceful protest is an integral part of democracy and that is why the federal government in the last 11 days has treated the protesters in a very civilised manner.”