By Musa Adekunle
- Amina Bala Zakari was the former Acting Chairmanof the Independent National Electoral Commission.Her appointment took effect from the directive of the President Muhammadu Buhari following the expiration of the tenure of her predecessor, Attahiru Jega on July 30, 2015.
- Zakari is the first woman to be appointed to the position of the leadership of INEC and her tenure as substantive Chairman of INEC.
- Zakari is a widow; raising five children on her own since the loss of her husband in December 2000. Her late husband was Bala Zakari Kazaure (Santurakin Kazaure) a career banker and economist.
- Zakari is a princess of the Jigawa State. She was born on June 23, 1960 to the late Emir of Kazaure, Hussaini Adamu. Zakari completed her elementary education at Shekara Girls Primary School, Kano in 1971 and had her secondary educationat Queens College, Lagos. She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy with Second Class Upper (Best Graduating Student) in 1980 from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
- She was at CVS Pharmacy Hartsdale, New York, United States between 1993 and 1994 as an Intern Pharmacist and returned to Nigeria to join the Consolidated Health Services, Abakpa, Kaduna, where she became the Chief Pharmacist/Consultant from 1996 to 1997.